Tuesday, October 25, 2011

October 24, 2011

Emails Received:
Sweet Grandma Clegg
Brian Williams the visionary  :)
Andy Lott ¨The God Father¨

And of course the faithful family

Dad
Mom
Mikesell
Brennen
Alex

Thank you all so much!!


Well, sounds like it was a great week in the States!!!  That is very sad about King. (The family dog that go back and forth from the three houses here in Jerome- 15 years old!!)    What a special friend he was to all of us. His spirit and feeling will be greatly missed.

Is it starting to cool down there? For the first time this week we were able to leave the house without a jacket so it is getting warmer here.

Thank you each so much for each of your prayers. I had a great week. I was forced to grow very much and Heavenly Father has blessed me very much. We had four investigators in church this week. Two are a mother and daughter however the Mom can’t get baptized because she is not divorced and a whole bunch of complicated stuff. However, her daughter Trinidad is 14 years old. Jose, the stud, brought a friend with him to church. Can you believe that? He works for him... he also was drunk... but still he went to his house and picked him up to bring him to church!! What a stud!! He totally believes everything we teach - it is just getting him to understand why he needs to be baptized again!! He is Catholic. He believes in the Book of Mormon, so it is just a matter of time. I hope!!! Your prayers are very much appreciated. This branch needs worthy Priesthood holders very bad. There is only one active family in the whole branch where both parents are active. As I sit here and think about this week... it really was a week of miracles. Mostly small ones, but just enough to know this is bigger than two - twenty year old kids walking the streets of a foreign place.  Dad- we are the only missionaries here in Miramar. We are in the Mar del Plata zone, and we travel up there every Tuesday (and sometimes more) for district meeting. It is like an hour or more bus ride. The busses here are great. I have had some fun experiences trying to talk to people the last couple of trips. Last week I tried talking to the lady next to me... turns out she was a Jehovah Witness (just my luck right) ha. )  There is a funny story with that- Here in Jerome…the Jehovah Witnesses only come here when Austin was around- home from college etc. )And instead of me teaching her… I got preached to for the next hour. I couldn’t really understand everything, so hopefully I did not nod at the wrong time or something like that!! J In the end she just told me to read nothing but the Bible... and I just bore a simple testimony of the Book of Mormon. We agreed that we hope we see each other on the streets of Miramar sometime. I hope Heavenly Father understands my weakness with this language... it was a good time. I had a similar experiences yesterday (we did a two hour divisions in Mar Del) except this time it was with a hard core Born Again Evangelical.  There are a lot of religious people here. I love visiting with anyone on the bus…I just got the opportunity to sit by passionate people this week!
We found a family this week who I am excited about... that is what it is all about!! They were really nice and the spirit was definitely there during the lesson. Daniel and Sonya... add them to the prayer list!!  One little miracle... we were teaching them in their little Mercado... and a guy walked in, bought something, and then I remembered that I knew him from somewhere. I asked him if he was the brother to another less active member from the branch and he said yes.  We were there one time when he was leaving... but there was no way I could have ever remember him on my own. Then Daniel said, ¨What a memory you have!!” I think Heavenly Father sometimes wants his missionaries to look like more then just 19 year old kids. It was humbling. Another funny thing this week, was during a lesson with an older women investigator told me I spoke better Spanish then my companion!!! She must be really senile-  I just laughed. My companion speaks well, he just has thick accent I think. 
It was quite a busy week. I wish I could tell you more. But know that I am happy and well - being forced to grow a lot right now. It is great!! I love my new companion. I have learned a lot from him and I respect him a lot. I am grateful for two very different trainers. It has helped me to see what I want to become. Between the two… Elder Perez was a big time stud and now my  new companion… it has helped me see who I want to be at 18 months on my mission.
Yesterday was the Election Day here. Everyone has to vote so it was crazy. Lots of political talk... I love the USA with all my heart. I have gained such a deeper appreciation for families and how that is why the United States is strong. That is what must be saved!

Well... I want to talk about all of you now!!! Sounds like life is going really well. I love the pictures. You all look so good and happy! This is time of year is always a time of transition. I am glad you are all able to be under the same roof. I skimmed all the letters and will read them tonight. Mom - It is like 15 pesos to print and for an hour of internet... It is worth it big time!!

Dad- Great bear experience!  Can’t believe that thing broke into the trailer! He is going to be so sick after eating all of that candy and marshmellows! (Left over Redfish store candy) I appreciate the sports update!! It is nice to know what is going on. Yeah, all that seems unreal here. Glad to hear BSU is doing well!  I bet you are enjoying being with the family. I know they love having you home. I hope you get feeling better soon! I will be praying for you. I love you so much Dad. Yes, these letters are lousy for expressing your emotions, when they are so deep with gratitude for all of my family and all that I have been given. Have a great week Dad. Sure love you!  Thanks for your story about your mission. Oh hey my hope is when I get back I want to do the Spudman Triathlon with you. I might die.. But it will help me keep up the workout routine I got going... something to think about.. (For a long time) haha

Mom -  I love that song by Phil Collins. I will sing it frequently. The theme song of this adventure for sure!  Yes I have an adaptor so don’t worry about plug things and stuff like that. Thank you so much. You are so sweet. I really don’t need anything. You asked about Christmas - all I want is a hand written testimony from every one and a promise from those in the family 12 years and older to read Book the Mormon before 2013 and keep reading as a family each day. You are inspired with the the foot powder - I would love that. My shoes are already getting stinky because of all the rain that we have had…  but they are holding up well. I am trying to get enough veggies... ? I think they exist here??  I take multi vitamins everyday. They were expensive though so once they are gone I think I will be done.  Thank you so much for you letters and pictures and all you do. You are truly an angel.  You are my hero. Thanks for all the news... It is really nice to know what is going on. I love you Mom. You are truly the best!!  I loved what you said about trials.   I am so glad you were able to teach seminary all day at the school this week!!

Mikesell - I skimmed your letter. I do the same thing when you talked about “picturing”. When I run in the morning I imagine you. You are going to get a high score on this bad boy. (ACT test)  I know it!! I am putting it out there. I prayed for you during the exact same time as the test while I was studying …and all week. Be at peace with the knowledge that no matter what happens, Heavenly Father has eye on you and will bless you!! So this Saturday at State Cross Country -go get them!!!  I hope your health is great and you dominate! I love that course. Good Stuff. I am glad you had a good time at Lagoon for your senior trip!  What fun memories. Mikesell I love you so much. We are always close in spirit - our whole family.

Brennen you Stud you -
Thanks for the email! It was so great to hear from you. You sounded so good. I hope that cross country was a great experience for you. You will have fond memories of it. I really miss it. So open gym this week! That is great. The first few days from XC to Basketball are always weird - different muscles and mindset. I love you Brennen. Keep making decisions that bring you closer to Heavenly Father. You are on track to be a stud missionary!!  Remember what Elder Holland said at Priesthood session about how you are on a team. Prepare for that mission by just doing little things. You are so great bud! I love you man!!

Alex - Quick Argentine moment - Here the word dude is ¨Che¨ but every one calls everyone that. For example I heard two older ladies call each other that. It was way funny. So basketball is coming huh!? Ya ya... Coldplay has done it again huh... That is great.. I look forward to listening to the new CD with you. Right now I got bigger fish to fry. You will have to get your favorites so we can listen down the road a little. I love you brother. Keep being awesome. You are the man! God speed....

Harrison - the cool guy!! I loved your thumbs up in the picture from the pumpkin patch.  That was great!  How is school buddy? Glad to see you are happy and living the dream!! I love you so much buddy. I really miss you. I think about you a lot. Keep being a good kid. I love you....YOU THE MAN!!

McCall -Boy every picture of you I see you get prettier and prettier! I am so glad to see you are happy. I miss you sweetie and love you so much. I am sad that King is gone. Is Copper still around? I love you McCall...
  
Well my family... I love you so much. I think next Monday is Halloween so that will be interesting to see what they do here. I think they do kind of celebrate it. I can’t believe that October is done.  It is all so unreal!  I love each of you so much. May you continue to grow and be blessed and do the things that Heavenly Father would have you to do. Remember who blessed we are!

Oh Brennen.... I was going to tell you.. (Mom you will laugh at this...)  Sunday was my judgment day for not practicing the piano. I don’t know how many times I heard from Mom how I should learn to practice the piano for my mission. On Sunday we had to sing with no piano because nobody played... I felt quite bad... so moral of the story.. Yes!! I guess piano is kind of important!!  I love you all!!!

MIKESELL GO GET NIST!!!    I will be right there with you!!!  
(Emily Nist is the #1 ranked in Idaho for Cross Country State meet this Saturday)

Love you all!!!

Love
Elder Austin


No comments:

Post a Comment